For the first time in 15 years of Lichting history, Lichting opens up spots for participants that enter via an open call. All Dutch fashion academy graduates – graduating in 2022- may apply to enter the competition.
There are two ways to enter the Lichting 2022:
- The seven Dutch fashion academies* each select one graduate.
- Via an open call you can apply to participate in Lichting 2022.
Lichting 2022 works in three selection rounds:
1. Selection by academies and open call:
– The 7 Dutch fashion academy send in one student each for Lichting 2022. These graduates are guaranteed through to the s second round.
– All design graduates from the academies can apply via an open call
2. The Lichting organization select 25 candidates for the third round (this includes the 7 selected graduates from the academies)
3. The 25 selected candidates each present their concept, process and work in a short presentation to a Dutch jury, who will select ten final participants for Lichting 2022
These ten participants are in the Lichting trajectory and event. The participants will receive guidance and preparation to pitch their work to an international panel and present their work during the Lichting event for panel, press and a curated audience. The panel will pick one winner for Lichting 2022. The Lichting winner receives a cash prize of €10.000,- of Meester Koetsier Foundation and legal support and advice with regard to creating and developing a fashion brand and -business (with a value of € 5.000,00 ex. BTW) of Van Kaam IP, Media & Privacy.
Requirements to participate
Participants of Lichting each stand out in what they do; whether that is couture, digital design, performance, commercial product, innovative design or handcrafted materials, the condition is that you create impressive work and excel in your work.
All Lichting participants;
- graduated in fashion design at an HBO fashion academy
- graduated between 1 January 2022 and 1 August 2022
- deliver an outstanding performance in fashion design
- can make their concept, process and end result clear within their application
- Are available at all dates Lichting takes place
- Presentation to Dutch jury – 29 July 2022
- Portfolio & pitch workshop – 15 August 2022
- Panel pitch for international panel – 1 September 2022
- Lichting event – 2 September 2022
Click here to fill out the application for Lichting 2022:
The deadline to apply is 8 July 18:00
Since 2007, Lichting serves as the debutante ball for fashion graduates. The concept of ‘Lichting’ is simple: the best academy graduates of one year in one central show. In the audience are the most important people for the next step in their careers. Lichting brings together the very best of each of The Netherlands’ seven fashion academies. As a result, Lichting is one of the most highly principled fashion events in the Netherlands, both in terms of quality and representation.
Since 2020, Lichting opened her doors for a multidisciplinary interpretation of fashion, showing an innovative and contemporary translation of fashion.
*The seven Dutch academies that participate in Lichting are AMFI – Amsterdam Fashion Institute, ArtEZ school of the arts – Arnhem, Gerrit Rietveld Academy – Amsterdam, MAFAD Maastricht Academy of Fine Arts and Design, Royal Academy of Art – The Hague, Utrecht School of the Arts, Willem de Kooning Academy – Rotterdam.